At the demise of the RAF Apprentice Scheme in 1993, a suggestion was made to the HAAA that a fitting memorial should be erected in front of 'Schools' to remind future generations that some 40,000 boys had been trained at Halton. The Tribute was designed by David Howells, 29th, and the Scottish granite block, designed in the form of the 'Brass Cube' workshops test job, was sculpted by Creative Memorials of High Wycombe. The inscription on one side of the tribute reads "1922-1993 No.1 School of Technical Training RAF Halton". On the other side it reads "This sculpture celebrates the Apprentice Scheme started by Lord Trenchard at No.1 School of Technical Training. Over 40,000 boys, many from Commonwealth and Foreign Air Forces and from the Royal Navy, all affectionately known as 'Trenchard's Brats', graduated from Halton between 1922 and 1993". Also "This sculpture represents the Brass Cube test job undertaken by apprentices during their training and incorporates the 'Wheel Badge' which was worn proudly by generations of apprentices".
The 51st sent a donation to the appeal, with the bulk of the memorial cost being donated by Companies in the Aerospace Industry. On 31st October 1997, Her Majesty The Queen, on an official visit to RAF Halton, performed the unveiling ceremony, to the delight of a large contingent of ex Brats and their families. Immediately prior to the unveiling ceremony, the ex Brats formed up on the Henderson Square and marched 'down the hill' behind the pipes & drums of the "Golden Oldies", past Main Point and on to 'Schools' to await Her Majesty.
|Birth of the Association||Roll Call||Group Photographs||Entry Details|
|Passing out Parade||Home Page||Reunions||Honorary Members|
|Projects||Officials||Stories and Books||Obituary|